Friday, January 17, 2014


Today didn't exactly unfold the way I thought it would. 
Last night I felt the usual discomfort after a long day of raising 3 kids while carrying a 4th around inside my weary self. Braxton Hicks here and there, muscular pain, exhaustion that is so bone-deep that it makes sleep difficult. I threw back half a pint of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia FroYo and headed to bed, only to wake at 5am with more contractions. 

They were more intense than usual, and coming every 10-20 minutes apart, so I started timing them. 90 minutes later they weren't letting up so I called my Dr. and landed in triage at Labor & Delivery after my mom came to be with the kids. I didn't feel like I was in labor but the frequency and intensity of the contractions had me concerned, so tests were run and fluids were given and then we all waited and watched. 

And they didn't stop. So the doctor nonchalantly explained that I'd be given a shot to stop the contractions and probably be sent home soon afterwards. 

Ladies. Consider this a PSA - if you hear the term "Turbutaline", brace yourself. I was given a shot of this and 2 hours later, I'm still dizzy, jittery and feeling like my heart is racing.

I've been here for over 5 hours now, and have thought of so many things I'm grateful for.
My mom who jumped out of bed and came right away before the sun was up to be with my kids. 
The presence of God, that truly is with us wherever we are and whatever we are facing. 
The prayers and offers of help from friends all morning long.
Good (really good) medical care.
An extra long weekend to soften the blow of bed rest for the next few days.

God is good, all the time.

No comments: