Monday, April 7, 2008

Recovering at home



We were discharged from the hospital on Sunday and left around 3:45pm! This picture was taken just before we walked out the door - I was so happy, but now that I look at this picture, I realize that I was 'wearing' my anxiety, sleeplessness, everything... even though the ordeal was basically over.


Backing up, Rob's parents flew in from New Jersey to be with us and meet Robbie for the first time - they got to our room minutes after Robbie returned from surgery. My parents had spent the morning with us as we took Robbie into surgery and then waited... and Cheryl came over after church... so we had a room full of care and support ready for the little guy!



Here is a picture of Robbie in the ER once his IV was all set (below) - he was down to 7 lb 6 oz, from the 7 lb 14 oz we had gotten him up to since birth (birthweight - 7 lb 9 oz). Sorry for the 1/2 smile - it was not a happy day. My little baby looks so sick in this picture, it is pathetic.





And Robbie post-surgery, with the surgeon's signature heart-shaped gauze dressings. (The blue dye you see is iodine.)




Rob and I were incredibly impressed with every aspect of our time at CDH - the surgeon, anesthesiologist, nurses and technicians were all the best and we would recommend this hospital and staff to anyone who might find themselves (heaven forbid) in the situation we were in with Robbie. The first evening we were there, our night nurse was the same nurse that I had 3 weeks ago when I recovered from Robbie's birth - Nurse Melanie. I loved her then, and I now love her even more for the way she cared for my son (and really, Rob and I too). On Saturday night she offered to hold Robbie while Rob, his parents and I went to the cafeteria for dinner so that we could have a small break from the stress. We discovered that we live very close to each other in Wheaton, and hope to keep in touch. I will always be indebted to her. Here she is:




Robbie has done very well getting back to a normal feeding schedule, and even slept from 2am-10am last night/this morning!! (I didn't even care that it meant I had to hold him next to me on the couch in the family room... I'm saving up all these snuggle-times because soon Daddy is going to make Mommy leave her little baby in his crib for the night!) He had a great day of regular eating, and had quite the appetite. Not one spit-up. He is such a champ. Here's a picture I just took 2 minutes ago to show you how cute and peaceful he is! (Don't yell at me to 'sleep when the baby sleeps' - I'm trying... but right now, although 'sleeping', he is restless and I know I'll have to wait for the next feeding before we can really "go to bed" - snuggle on the couch for a few hours with our eyes closed.)
And finally, here is one of the reasons Robbie continues to bounce back, and also the reason his parents are able to function as normal human beings:
We are so thankful for our parents - Robbie's grandparents - for their love and care for the 3 of us. We are blessed by all 4 of them, and don't know how anyone does this 'baby' thing without the help of family. This is a common picture at our house these days, usually in the mornings - my mom holding Robbie. What you can't see is me, passed out on the couch, catching up on sleep.
Robbie wants you all to know that he is feeling well, and thanks you for your prayers!

No comments: