Thursday, August 6, 2009

Quick Update

**Update - a few photos to go along with the story.

Tylenol... everywhere... 

**Original Post:

Because I thought you'd find it entertaining...

I took Ellie in this morning for a follow up exam, per the pediatrician, after the digestive-drama we experienced last week.  All is well with her - she will remain on Nutramigen until the doctor thinks it's time to either try soy formula again, or until she can start the changeover to whole milk at 1 year.  During the appointment this morning I left Robbie at home with a sitter.

Clearly, this is not the entertaining part.

This is:

When I got home from the pediatrician's office, I gave Robbie a hug and immediately noticed little red bumps all over his face and torso.  What!!!  I paid the sitter and let her leave while I thought about what to do.  Head right back to the doctor?  I decided to call the nurse instead.  I had laid Ellie down in her swing in the kitchen and was trying to feed Robbie lunch while I dialed the nurse.  I think the beginning of our phone call started with me saying something along the lines of, "I was just in the office an hour ago with my daughter, but while I was gone my son developed these red spots..."  I explained his symptoms, as well as what our last 4 or 5 days have been like, and she immediately suspected Roseola.  I looked it up later in my baby books that list all of the childhood illnesses, and Robbie fit the profile to a T.  So that explains the high fever Sunday through Tuesday.  I am praying that Ellie doesn't get it, and am washing my hands every 5 minutes and ran all of the pacis in our house through the dishwasher.

If that's not enough, imagine what the next few moments looked like: me filling a syringe with Children's Tylenol for Robbie, but struggling to get the push-part in and inadvertently shooting pink sticky medicine all over our kitchen curtains and window.  (I might have said a bad word under my breath.)  Meanwhile, Ellie has been wailing away while I was on the phone and is still crying to be held.  Robbie is pitching blueberries off his tray and banging his plastic plate, either because the illness has stolen his appetite or because he's just changing his eating habits (meaning not eating at all, it seems like).

My kitchen looks and sounds like a battlefield.  I wasn't even sure where to start... but I decided on Robbie because if he is neglected when he is done with a meal, he gags himself and has recently ended up vomiting as a result.  I'm just not in the mood for that today, plus there is enough mess for me to clean up!  Ellie falls in line next and then the drapes.  

Actually, come to think of it, the drapes are still in a heap on the floor of the laundry room. 

(After the mayhem... resorting to a bath to clean up from lunch and provide relief to some itchy ears.  I thought this pose was hilarious.)


Heather Green said...

Yep. He's just the cutest little guy.

Parker said...

Sounds like quite an entertaining day! I hope he feels better. Cade had the same thing around his age. Oh..and I thoroughly agree with the post above that sleeping in is a gift from God! I have experienced that quite many times when needing more! :)

Jennifer said...

Oh, Ashley! I just have to smile! :) How life has changed, huh? Good thing it was just Tylenol -- could have been worse, right? Just say the word and I'll lend you our dog, Buddy. He eats anything and everything -- he could have all your messes cleaned up in a matter of minutes! j/k :)

Robert said...

These pictures are great. Thanks for sharing all these special moments.