Friday, May 6, 2011

Impromptu Cinco de Mayo date night

*Just saw that I actually have a picture of Ellie playing 'Ice cream' (see previous post). At this particular moment we are licking Mr. Potato Head's nose. We're easy going like that with our objects of choice. Nose, tongue, the letter 'i' from our alphabet magnets, mommy's make up brush, whatever.


I hope you all have a wonderful Friday. I am all set to enjoy mine. Rob and I had the chance to go out to dinner on a date last night and it was just what we needed. My sweet sister stayed with Robbie and Ellie and conquered bedtime with them like it was no big deal (which most nights, it IS!). Not only did I not have to wrestle them to bed with Rob, but I didn't have to cook or clean up dinner. All I did was hand over a gift card to pay (most of) the bill, and for the rest of the evening Rob and I talked.

Even Maddie complied and slept the entire time at the restaurant under the canopy on her car seat. Not a peep and she was totally due to nurse. Bless her for that!

I know everyone says this and even I know it's true, but I was reminded again last night just how important it is to schedule time with your spouse when you have a new baby in the house. Or even just a lot of kids that make it hard to have a conversation.

Being given the opportunity to get outside of the chaos and enjoy a warm meal someone else cooks for you and having the ability to talk uninterrupted for a few hours is priceless. It's rejuvenating and important and we will be doing this more frequently.

Have I mentioned lately that I somehow managed to marry the best guy out there? Because I did. If I had been the kind of girl to make a list of all the qualities and traits I wanted in a future husband and father of my children, I don't think I would have even dared to dream that someone could check everything off that list and then blow me away with how much more he had to offer beyond it.

Rob Livingston... so glad you agreed to take Chem for Living and Ceramics with me during our senior year of college so that we had extra time to fall in love.

And Mom Livingston? So glad you raised your boy the way you did. I get all the benefits from your years of hard work and sacrifice, but you know it's not lost on me! Thank you. I am full on celebrating you right now in the spirit of Mother's Day. Here's to hoping I do half as good of a job mothering Robbie as you did with your boys.

2 comments:

The Larsons said...

What a keeper! He and Jeff are aces in my opinion. :)

Anonymous said...

Super sweet post Ashley. I will be sure to show this one to my mom. She will feel honored.