Friday, November 4, 2011

The purposes of God

"God said go to those who do not know Him and extend His mercy."
- Priscilla Shirer, Jonah Study, pg 105

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..."
- Matthew 28:19

"While Yahweh allowed sacrifices to serve as the atonement for sin, they were not His ultimate desire. God longed for people who had a heart to obey Him and remain in fellowship with Him more than He wanted a people who would choose their own path and then run to the tabernacle to gain forgiveness for their actions. Do you see that offering sacrifices was easier for King Saul {1 Samuel 15:1-22} than willing obedience? To obey, he had to deny his own desires and yield to God. Denying the flesh always requires effort. Likewise, for us it is far easeir to repent later than to initially submit. Obedience necessitates self-denial. Subjecting our will to the Lord's is often more difficult than kneeling at an altar and asking for His mercy. He is willing to extend mercy, but His heart is gladdened and His name glorified when His people desire to obey Him in the first place."
- Priscilla Shirer, Jonah Study, pg 100

******************************************

Sometimes I don't know what to do, as if I'm wandering around uncertain of God's call on my life because it hasn't come to me in the form of a job, a mission, a move, a specific act of service, or a commitment with boundaries, timeframes, clear expectations, etc. And then I read this, and am reminded that God's call on my life right now is a daily commitment to walk with Him, my spirit yielded to His, my own will laid down before Him so that I can embrace His will for me instead. It is simple in that it is singular in purpose {go and make disciples!}, it is quiet work {yield my spirit to His}, and it is not at all glamorous {expect no earthly reward}. It is a call to servanthood in all that I do, with each moment of my day. I am humbled.

No comments: