Monday, August 20, 2012

"Sausage Bake"

You need this sausage and egg casserole in your life. It's my favorite thing to eat for breakfast and if your kitchen is anything like mine, you'll already have most of the ingredients on hand. It's so good I contemplated keeping it my own secret. But that's not very nice, now is it?!

I have no idea where to give proper credit for this little gem, but my mom received it from my aunt Sherry (Hi, Sherry!) so as far as I'm concerned, she created this. Since I adjusted a few things I added myself to the title. :)

Sherry and Ashley's Sausage Bake

Ingredients:
French bread or baguette*
3 T melted butter
Garlic salt
Oregano
Basil
Sleeve Turkey Sausage**
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
3/4 t dry mustard
1 can cream of mushroom soup

*If you have a leftover baguette or something similar, use it even if it's slightly stale! The original recipe called for 2 1/2 C herb flavored croutons so you could sub those for the bread / butter / herbs.

**I prefer Whole Foods' Breakfast Turkey Sausage.

Instructions:
Grease a 9x13 dish. Tear, slice or cube the bread and cover the bottom of the baking dish. Drizzle melted butter over bread and generously sprinkle desired amount of garlic salt, oregano and basil. Place under the broiler until bread turns golden brown - you're basically making your own croutons but I think they taste so much better than packaged ones!

Brown the sausage and layer over the bread. Then layer cheese over the sausage. Beat the eggs, mustard and mushroom soup in a bowl and pour over all. Using the back of a fork, gently press down over all areas of the casserole, making sure that the bread is completely covered by the egg mixture. Cover and let sit over night in the refrigerator.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours the next morning, making sure the egg is set and cooked all the way through.



No comments: